Mandore - Jodhpur

Mandore is located at a distance of 9 km from Jodhpur City. Capital of Marwar before the establishment of Jodhpur, it was founded in the 6th century. After a marriage alliance between a princess of the original founders, the Pratiharas, and the Rathore Rajah, Rao Chandor, the site was passed to the Rathore Rajputs in 1381. Mandore Gardens with their high rock terraces are the prominent attractions of the site. In the gardens, there are chhatris (cenotaphs) of the Rathore rulers.

The Cenotaph of Maharajah Dhiraj Ajit Singh, an attraction of this site is adorned with carved elephants. The edifice is also embellished with amalake (disk-shaped flourishes with fluted edges), a pillared fore chamber with fine sculpture. Octagonal pavilion with a vast dome and huge pillars, 17th century Chhatri of Maharajah Dhiraj Jaswant Singh, is located opposite the staircases leading up the third storey. Highly symmetrical, this structure contains a gallery supported by pillars and sculptures of Krishna and the gopies (milkmaids). Boundary of the site also contains a small government museum. The site also comprises 'Hall of Heroes', having 15 figures carved out of a rock wall. These structures depict Hindu deities or local Rajput heroes on horseback. Figures of deities and spirits form the Shrine of 33 Crore Gods.

Get in touch
Contact us

The Gandhi International
346 - A, 4th 'B' Road, Sardarpura
Jodhpur - 342003 , (Rajasthan) INDIA
Tel    : +91 - 291 - 2622808
Cell   : +91-9116052809, +91-9414122809
Email :
Email :